On 8/12/07, Alex Young <alex / blackkettle.org> wrote:
> joviyach wrote:
> > Developing using things like MySQL, PHP, and Ruby has been an absolute
> > nightmare on my Windows XP environment. I was wondering if Ubuntu, or
> > some other flavour of Linux would be much better? I like what I have
> > seen from Ubuntu, so far, but wonder how "RoR friendly" it is?
> >
> > <RANT>With Windows, I seem to spend more time trying to make the
> > development environment actually work, than doing any development.
> > It's really quite aggravating.</RANT>
> Ubuntu's great, as long as you're aware of the gotchas (which pretty
> much amount to "remember to install all the -dev packages and all the
> parts that Ruby was split into").
That is because Ubuntu is not made for development platforms, so my
first answer would be, look somewhere else, Debian unstable (which
means stable of course, that is just Debian jargon), or probably the
best choice for development: Gentoo.

But still there are many distros around, I am quite happy with Zenwalk
(Slack based) for *simple* development.

As Tom said it so well, it is probably worth going through a steep
learning curve and if you are willing to do so opt for Gentoo.
If not get a "standard distro" and do some installations as Alex has
pointed out.

I have no problem with Ubuntu but it is not good for Ubuntu either to
be taken as the one catches them all platform as it is not (and there
will be no such platform of course ;).

HTH
Robert

  Alternatively, take a look at

--
[...] as simple as possible, but no simpler.
-- Attributed to Albert Einstein