joviyach wrote:
> Developing using things like MySQL, PHP, and Ruby has been an absolute
> nightmare on my Windows XP environment. I was wondering if Ubuntu, or
> some other flavour of Linux would be much better? I like what I have
> seen from Ubuntu, so far, but wonder how "RoR friendly" it is?
>
> <RANT>With Windows, I seem to spend more time trying to make the
> development environment actually work, than doing any development.
> It's really quite aggravating.</RANT>
Ubuntu's great, as long as you're aware of the gotchas (which pretty
much amount to "remember to install all the -dev packages and all the
parts that Ruby was split into").  Alternatively, take a look at
InstantRails - it's a Windows package with MySQL, Rails and PHP already
set up and easy to use.

--
Alex