On Saturday 24 November 2001 07:08 pm, you wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, Albert Wagner wrote:
> > specifically, ruby165-0.exe
> >
> > http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/ruby/downloads/ruby-install.html
>
> Ok, we're talking about two different things. I've been talking about
> compiling Matz Ruby source tarball on Cygwin. Sorry, I've been unclear.
>
> > Maybe I misunderstand.  But it seems that I will have 2 options:
> >
> > (1)  Install a similar exe (all parts compiled with MSVC);  Then compile
> > additional extensions with MinGW
> >
> > OR
> >
> > (2)  Compile everything with Cygwin
> >
> > Am I wrong?
>
> No, but my question was why you think 2 is inferior to 1.

Those are the after-the-vote options.  The best option for myself is to leave
everything alone.  I like the Cygwin based exe.

> But, ok there is
> some added stuff in there, so I guess thats what you're after. My point is
> just that if you have installed Cygwin its kind-of straight-forward to
> build things from sources so IMHO its not a major problem that the
> exe-install distr does not require/support cygwin.

You are obviously a Windows only user.  I develop on both, with a strong
preference for Linux.  Anything other than a Cygwin based exe for windows is
a pain in the butt.  There is no sense persuing this any further.  It's a
moot question.  The vote is over.  My post is just a howl of disappointment.
Not worth additional comment.