------art_21558_22591915.1186917604436

On 8/12/07, Sebastian Hungerecker <sepp2k / googlemail.com> wrote:

> Trans wrote:
> > On Aug 11, 11:51 pm, Jeremy Hinegardner wrote:
>
> > > launchy version 0.1.2 has been released.
> > >
> > > Launchy is helper class for launching cross-platform applications in a
> > > fire and forget manner.
> >
> > * How does it deal with a systems that have more than one browser
> > installed? Which browser does it choose?
>
> According to the documentation on the homepage:
> APP_LIST   :windows %w[ firefox iexplore ], :darwin %w[ open ],
>              :nix %w[ firefox ], :unknown [], }
> So on OSX it uses the default browser and on any other system firefox, if
> installed, or IE or nothing. I have to say, I find that somewhat
> suboptimal.
> Certainly it's possible to detect the default browser on Windows, KDE and
> GNOME, too, right? (Although, of course, it's still possible that someone
> has neither KDE or GNOME installed or that he has both and is running
> neither,
> which would make it hard to choose which default browser to use on *nix).

For windows at least you can use the same trick you use on OS X, that is use
the start command instead of a particular browser. That'll use their
default. For "*nix" it seems to me to be a lot more hairy, since distros
will all have their own ways to indicating the default browser. I think
Debian for instance has a symlink to the user's default browser named
sensible-browser or similar.