On Aug 11, 11:51 pm, Jeremy Hinegardner <jer... / hinegardner.org>
wrote:
> launchy version 0.1.2 has been released.
>
>    http://copiousfreetime.rubyforge.org/launchy/
>
> Example:
>
>     Launchy.do_magic("http://www.rubyforge.org")
>
> or
>
>     Launchy::Spawnable::Browser.new.visit("http://www.ruby-lang.org/")
>
> Launchy is helper class for launching cross-platform applications in a
> fire and forget manner.
>
> There are application concepts (browser, email client, etc) that are common
> across all platforms, and they may be launched differently on each
> platform.  Launchy is here to make a common approach to launching
> external application from within ruby programs.
>
> {{ Changelog for Version 0.1.2 }}
>
> === Version 0.1.2 - 2007-08-11
>
> * first publicly announced release
> * make forked child exit without calling at_exit handlers
>
> enjoy,

Looks very interesting. I might use this on one of my projects. Some
thoughts/questions:

* This is clearly useful for launching a browser. (which is what I
could use it for). But will it really be useful for anything else?
Maybe I can see launching an email program, but I'm not even sure
about that.

* How does it deal with a systems that have more than one browser
installed? Which browser does it choose?

* What is Launchy::Specification for, how is it used?

* If I may make a suggestion... I think the API would be nicer if you
did without the Spawnable namespace. Just Launchy::Browser would be
much nicer.

Nice work!
T.