On 8/9/07, Todd Benson <caduceass / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/9/07, dblack / rubypal.com <dblack / rubypal.com> wrote:
> > Hi --
> >
> > On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Todd Benson wrote:
> >
> > I think you're misreading the signals.
>
> You might be right about that.
>
> > The other-list talk is about
> > the RCR (Ruby Change Request) process, to which there's a whole
> > history.  It's not about exclusionary tactics on ruby-talk.  Really,
> > browse through some of the archives of this list and you'll see that
> > this list really isn't like that :-)
>
> These are sentiments I've had about ruby-talk long before this thread.
>  I can't speak for every other nuby, obviously, but I thought I might
> take my chance and throw in thoughts that others share, briefly, and
> in an obscure thread.  Maybe I shouldn't have done that :)
Au contraire, that too was a valuable contribution because it allowed
us at least to clarify some potential misunderstandings, I can only
agree with what David and Gregory have said, the RCR would not be
elitist at all, just something specific but open for everyone, there
are RCRs that are so simple (mine BTW ;) that everybody can understand
them and there are others I do not understand.

> The RCR list has its own frustrations.  But when I read the original
> post, what I saw was a frustration with Ruby in general.
Be careful with this interpretation, maybe Tom can clarify that
better, but we are all very happy with Ruby, just that sometime we
want it to be perfect.
Maybe Tom and myself are indeed passing on a negative image of Ruby in
our quest for perfection, which cannot exist anyway [BTW Gregory that
was what I meant with "inifinite wisdom, inifinite as in a negative
exponent" and maybe Gregory and James did well to point that out a
little bit, but I did not read those subtle signals in the first place
:(
>  And it
> seemed to me to become a "don't ask don't tell" attitude from
> responders.
That was what indeed I was a little bit upset about, but I feel we
talked it out nicely, and that counts most.

> Ruby has a life of its own, obviously.  And, I'll get used to that
> fact.  Just as long as the people I trust (like yourself) don't
> abandon people like me.  I've been a member of many newgroups, but
> I've never seen such a scary mixture of free will and danger and
> happiness and sorrow.  Maybe that's a good thing.
I believe it is indeed :)

> Todd

Robert

--
[...] as simple as possible, but no simpler.
-- Attributed to Albert Einstein