On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, MikkelFJ wrote:

> Primarily I would like a foreign function interface for SVG. Today there are
> documented very few language bindings (JavaScript) and I've found nothing
> about how to extend on this.

Please enlighten me as to what FFI means in this context?

> The actual functionality is already defined in the object model, so I guess
> this is pretty much given.
> But those objects seems to be wrappable in Ruby so you could have all you
> SVG objects as Ruby objects and SVG events as Ruby method calls.

FYI: The existing Ruby SVG lib has the basic drawing primitives covered,
as well as Style and a top document class.

> In one of the links I posted, there a several GUI components written on top
> of SVG:
> http://www.kevlindev.com/gui/index.htm
>
> Imagine those components as GUI objects in Ruby.

Yes, I can easily see it. Useful...

> If I may add a third cool technology of my 2001 discoveries, it should be
> OCaml (www.ocaml.org) - and I'd like SVG bindings to a GUI toolkit here as
> well.

If you like OCaml you might want to check out Clean. It's like Haskell but
with uniqueness typing (you can have destructive updates etc) and a
compiler producing really fast code. Free but not fully opened yet but
version 2.0 is about to be released and is rumoured to be open. This is
strong stuff if your into lazy functional proggramming.

http://www.cs.kun.nl/~clean/

> I personally have too many other things going to be involved in such
> development. But if anyone took the challenge, I'd be happy to be on the
> sideline and help with the design.

Like me then...

/Robert