-----Original Message-----
From: ruby-talk-admin / ruby-lang.org
[mailto:ruby-talk-admin / ruby-lang.org]On Behalf Of Robert Feldt
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2001 5:09 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: [ruby-talk:26397] Re: The results are in...

On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, Albert Wagner wrote:

> specifically, ruby165-0.exe
>
> http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/ruby/downloads/ruby-install.html

Ok, we're talking about two different things. I've been talking about
compiling Matz Ruby source tarball on Cygwin. Sorry, I've been unclear.

> Maybe I misunderstand.  But it seems that I will have 2 options:
>
> (1)  Install a similar exe (all parts compiled with MSVC);  Then compile
> additional extensions with MinGW
>
> OR
>
> (2)  Compile everything with Cygwin
>
> Am I wrong?

No, but my question was why you think 2 is inferior to 1. But, ok there is
some added stuff in there, so I guess thats what you're after. My point is
just that if you have installed Cygwin its kind-of straight-forward to
build things from sources so IMHO its not a major problem that the
exe-install distr does not require/support cygwin.

Regards,

Robert