"Robert Feldt" <feldt / ce.chalmers.se> wrote in message
news:Pine.GSO.4.21.0111250132440.8235-100000 / godzilla.ce.chalmers.se...

> So maybe Ruby really can be a player here? What kind of language bindings
> would you like in your dream-world? I've mailed the author of the Ruby SVG

Primarily I would like a foreign function interface for SVG. Today there are
documented very few language bindings (JavaScript) and I've found nothing
about how to extend on this.
The actual functionality is already defined in the object model, so I guess
this is pretty much given.
But those objects seems to be wrappable in Ruby so you could have all you
SVG objects as Ruby objects and SVG events as Ruby method calls.

In one of the links I posted, there a several GUI components written on top
of SVG:
http://www.kevlindev.com/gui/index.htm

Imagine those components as GUI objects in Ruby.

Mind you - I'm still happy that Fox entered Ruby is a GUI toolkit. The Fox
wrapper needs an improved object model and some talk has been on a Ruby-way
GUI object model with different backends.
If Fox and SVG could be developed in common this would be rather cool -
however it may not be worthwile to try to integrate them (complexity, lowest
common denominator, special cases and all).

If I may add a third cool technology of my 2001 discoveries, it should be
OCaml (www.ocaml.org) - and I'd like SVG bindings to a GUI toolkit here as
well.

I personally have too many other things going to be involved in such
development. But if anyone took the challenge, I'd be happy to be on the
sideline and help with the design.

MikkelFJ