On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, MikkelFJ wrote:

> The big issues with SVG that remains are
> 1) SVG has the infrastructure but lacks good language bindings for
> interactive programming.

So maybe Ruby really can be a player here? What kind of language bindings
would you like in your dream-world? I've mailed the author of the Ruby SVG
lib and asked him if we can pack it up and submit to RAA, what license
would be applicable and if we can start to extend it. Its a nice design
but not finished. Would anyone be interested in managing a RubySvg
project? I don't think I'll have the time but would really like to see
this happen.

Could this be a 'killer app' for Ruby? SVG is new to me but I find it
fascinating and the design seems very clear. If we implement the
Ruby<->Svg binding of our dreams I think it would add real value.

> 2) the viewers are not quite good enough or standardized enough yet. >

I noticed problems when doing SVG to PNG transcoding with Batik
rasterizer. There are minor quirks with the PNG making it look not as
nice. I haven't been able to find a better solution for Windows yet so if
anyone got a pointer please mail me.

Regards,

Robert