Well, with JUnit (and even PHPUnit) an XML log file is produced by
the unit tests. There are a few xsl and xslt stylesheets that can
convert those XML logs to HTML pages. That's what we use to see the
results of our automated builds. They're also easy to grep for
failures and errors. Our overall build process is driven by Ant and
Cygwin isn't an option for us; I'll ask our build guy if the "tee"
command is a viable approach for the automated builds though (all on
UNIX).

Still, an XML log file would be helpful. They're also good for QA
organizations trying to track breakages and bugs over time.

Mark