From: "Yukihiro Matsumoto" <matz / ruby-lang.org>

>     on 01/11/24, Jos Backus <josb / cncdsl.com> writes:
>
> |Thanks, I was just curious. Maybe a later version should drop support for the
> |implicit $_ object?
>
> I've not decided yet.  But I can tell you the future version will give
> you warning when you use it -- "it's too perlish".

I like to use the $_ shortcuts *only* in the -e invocation of Perl and
Ruby.  I never use them when typing code into a file, but I definitely
find them convenient on the command line.  I think not everyone may have
yet experienced the power of Ruby and Perl from the command line in
combination with the -n, -p, and -i options.  (And I haven't even tried
-a yet :-)  But it's very very impressive, and I've used Perl that way
at work on a daily-to-weekly basis for impromptu one-off data processing
and data mining tasks.

So, my hope would be that the $_ shortcuts stay in Ruby, and that the
warning is suppressed in a -e invocation.  For executing code in a
.rb file, I think the warning is fine.  (Since I never use $_ there,
I don't care.  =-)

Regards,

Bill