On Aug 8, 2007, at 10:55 AM, Phrogz wrote:

> My experience with the new RCR system hasn't been very negative, but
> it hasn't been great.

I agree that the new system hasn't won me over yet and I think you do
a great job of analyzing the reasons.

> I'm not sure what the root cause of these symptoms is. Did the reset
> disenchant a bunch of people?

I can't speak for everyone, but it did for me a little, yes.  After
literally years of silent observation I finally got up the courage to
make one.  I followed the process as best I knew how: held the
discussion on Ruby Core, etc.  My proposal got 14 "In favor" votes
and 4 "Strongly advocate" votes.  Sadly, I think the site was already
dead by then and it just didn't seem to matter.

> Did the switch to mailing-list subscription discussions raise the
> entry barrier too high?

This does concern me too.  I'll confess that I'm not auto-subscribed
to all the lists as they are made.  That felt like it could get
overwhelming fast and I chickened out.  (Looking back now though, the
traffic has been fine, so far.)

Like most Prag fans I've been dipping into Erlang a little lately.
One thing I noticed about their world was that they have one mailing
list that was just for discussing proposals to change the language.
I thought that was neat idea when I saw it.  For some reason it feels
less overwhelming to me.

James Edward Gray II