On Aug 6, 2007, at 2:55 PM, Ari Brown wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2007, at 1:34 PM, Todd Benson wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> OK.  I might be using up my credibility here, but ...
>>
>> /memory/intelligence/
>>

>>> You see? Its not malicious!
>>
>> That's not  my intention either.  The only thing that comes to
>> mind is
>> "shooting themselves in the foot"?
>>
>> Point being: yes, it is useful to be destructive in order to be
>> productive.  But, do you really have to?
>
> Well, no, I don't have to, but it would be really nice to be able
> to have a bunch of free memory so my computer doesn't stall during
> another program.  Is there an alternative to soaking up the RAM and
> then releasing it?
>
> -------------------------------------------------------|
> ~ Ari
> crap my sig won't fit

It's just generally accepted that the Berkeley and MIT crowd have
figured out memory management well enough at the OS level. The best
way to free up additional memory is to run fewer apps at the same
time and tweak the OS to run less stuff in the background.

One aspect of memory management, however, is that there is just a
limit to how many apps can run smoothly at the same time on the same
machine. Even with lots of memory, you still run into limits on the
processor.