On 8/4/07, Axel Etzold <AEtzold / gmx.de> wrote:
> I don't know what your experience has been, but other than all
> software - as all human undertakings - is unfinished, I must say, I found the community for
> Pdaxrom very helpful and responsive and I can't say that
> pdaxrom is not sufficient to my needs or in any way defective.

C1000 support has only been _very_ recently added.  It was
specifically not supported with the newer releases of pdaXrom so I
stopped looking at the project.  I checked, and Meanie does have some
work to allow c1000 installation quite easily.

I will be checking it out, but I might also check out Poky because it
has had a recent release and it looks like a very promising project.

> Rather, it was the first OS version that allowed me to use
> my Zaurus the way I wanted it : use more than pre-packaged ipk
> software, and do more than have just an expensive calendar + word +
> internet + some other pre-installed software I didn't use that much.

This is why I first tried it.  But it wasn't working very well when I
tried it.  I see that it's been updated since then.

> > I've been investigating doing cross-compiling to target the Zaurus, or
> > compiling on the Zaurus.
>
> Direct compilation is what I was suggesting you to do in my last mail. You'll get the compiler gcc in the install image of pdaxrom, and then, you can install any Linux software from source using the usual configure-make-make install process.

I wasn't able to figure out how to use the zgcc stuff on my weeXpc,
but I would try it again if I got the newer pdaXrom working.

Poky first, then I'll try pdaXrom.

Right now I'm having fun getting all my small textmode applications
working properly.  First I'm going to figure out some more vim
configuration - I got syntax highlighting and code folding working
nicely but I need to get some keys to work better when in insert mode.

I might try emacs as well, if I can figure out how to install it
without running out of space.  =)  There are a _lot_ of interesting
add-ons for it, and I saw a lot of Ruby-related stuff.