I'm moderately serious. This is going to be one of those projects
that won't see the light of day for maybe 6 months to a year.
This looks largely what I was hoping to make, although in Ruby I had
invisioned this:

matching email addresses (sample):
a = LeetExp.new(:letters => [[a-z], :insensitive],
				:string => "@",
				:letters => [[a-z], :insensitive],
				:string => ".",
				:string => ["com", "net", "org", "edu"]
)

case line
when a
	# ...

My idea is to make it logical and human readable. Ruby is a language
for humans and UberBeings, and I think this should reflect Ruby's ideas.

Also, was you library a wrapper for underlying PERL RegExp? or was it
the whole RegExp engine?

Thanks,
Ari

On Aug 6, 2007, at 10:51 PM, Kenneth McDonald wrote:

> Ari,
>
> How serious are you about this? Several years ago I wrote a Python
> library that treats Python regular
> expressions as semantic, not syntactic, objects, and that has been
> incredibly useful to me. I've started
> to port it to Ruby, but simply don't have the time. If you do
> (you're probably looking at a couple of
> weeks of full-time-equivalent hours to do a good job, including
> decent documentation), I'm happy to pass
> on the Python code, the Ruby code, and give advice and so on.
>
> To help you evaluate this, and also as a potential source of ideas
> in case you do something else, I've
> appended my (probably out of date) intro text to the library at the
> bottom of this reply.
>
> Cheers,
> Ken

If you're not living on the edge,