Hi,

I've just lost a few hours on this strange behaviour (bug ?).
Apparently it is caused by some kind of operator precedence
thingamagic. My original code was of course much more complicated, so
finding the problem wasn't easy (I first thought my code was
buggy...). Here is a piece of minimal code that reproduces the
problem :

8<-------------8<-------------8<-------------8<-------------

C:\temp>ver

Microsoft Windows [version 6.0.6000]

C:\temp>ruby -v

C:\temp>type bug.rb
sum1 = 1 + 1 + 1

puts sum1

sum2 = (
  1
  + 1
  + 1
)

puts sum2

C:\temp>ruby bug.rb
3
1

8<-------------8<-------------8<-------------8<-------------

>From now on I promise I'll remember that you cannot safely use multi-
line parenthesis expressions in Ruby ; I just would like to understand
what this code means to Ruby, if it's not "give me the result of 1 + 1
+ 1".

The same takes place in irb :

C:\temp>irb
irb(main):001:0> sum1 = 1 + 1 + 1
=> 3
irb(main):002:0> sum2 = (
irb(main):003:1* 1
irb(main):004:1> + 1
irb(main):005:1> + 1
irb(main):006:1> )
=> 1
irb(main):007:0> op3 = (
irb(main):008:1* 1
irb(main):009:1> * 3
irb(main):010:1> * 9
irb(main):011:1> )
SyntaxError: compile error
(irb):9: syntax error, unexpected '\n', expecting tCOLON2 or '[' or
'.'
        from (irb):11
        from :0

Duh ! This must mean something, but what ?

Regards,

Nicolas Lehuen