david karapetyan wrote:
> look up gsub! for the String class. you can write
>
>   some_string.gsub(/href=\"([^\"]+)\"/) do |match|
>     ## do stuff with match
>   end
>
> i'm pretty sure the above code will work for what you are trying to do.

you know, I thought about String#scan, but for some reason didn't think
it was what I was looking for, but it works sorta nicely. it doesn't
behave exactly how I'd want... but the String#gsub method looks more
like what I'm looking for; this way, I can loop and access my various
$1, $2, etc matches and not have to work with an array that I have to
loop over in a weird way (since I don't use some of matches).

I'll have to play with this a little more.

thanks!