On 8/4/07, dima <dejan.dimic / gmail.com> wrote:
> If I understand the initial question right you do not want to install
> gems documentation since you are already using an on-line version of
> it.

You half-understand.  I don't want to install the documentation for
the "RubyGems" application itself.  I am not talking about using the
'gem' program to install a gem without documentation.

For example, trying to install rubygems-0.9.4 itself, like this, I see
no way to avoid installing documentation.  I wonder if I can force a
path for documentation installation to /dev/null or something simple.
=)

$ ruby setup.rb --help
Typical Installation Procedure:
  $ ruby setup.rb config
  $ ruby setup.rb setup
  # ruby setup.rb install (may require root privilege)

Detailed Usage:
  ruby setup.rb <global option>

Global options:
  -q,--quiet               suppress message outputs
     --verbose             output messages verbosely
     --help                print this message
     --version             print version and quit
     --copyright           print copyright and quit

Tasks:
  all                      do config, setup, then install
  config                   saves your configurations
  show                     shows current configuration
  setup                    compiles ruby extentions and others
  install                  installs files
  test                     run all tests in test/
  clean                    does `make clean' for each extention
  distclean                does `make distclean' for each extention

Options for CONFIG or ALL:
  --installdirs=std/site/home std: install under libruby; site:
install under site_ruby; home: install under $HOME []
  --prefix=path            path prefix of target environment [/usr]
  --bindir=path            the directory for commands [$prefix/bin]
  --libdir=path            the directory for libraries [$prefix/lib]
  --datadir=path           the directory for shared data [$prefix/share]
  --mandir=path            the directory for man pages [$prefix/share/man]
  --sysconfdir=path        the directory for system configuration files [/etc]
  --localstatedir=path     the directory for local state data [/var/lib]
  --libruby=path           the directory for ruby libraries [/usr/lib/ruby]
  --librubyver=path        the directory for standard ruby libraries
[/usr/lib/ruby/1.8]
  --librubyverarch=path    the directory for standard ruby extensions
[/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i586-linux-gnu]
  --siteruby=path          the directory for version-independent aux
ruby libraries [/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby]
  --siterubyver=path       the directory for aux ruby libraries
[/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8]
  --siterubyverarch=path   the directory for aux ruby binaries
[/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i586-linux-gnu]
  --rbdir=path             the directory for ruby scripts [$siterubyver]
  --sodir=path             the directory for ruby extentions [$siterubyverarch]
  --rubypath=path          the path to set to #! line [/usr/bin/ruby]
  --rubyprog=name          the ruby program using for installation
[/usr/bin/ruby]
  --makeprog=name          the make program to compile ruby extentions [make]
  --shebang=all/ruby/never shebang line (#!) editing mode [ruby]
  --without-ext            does not compile/install ruby extentions [no]
  --rbconfig=path          rbconfig.rb to load [running ruby's]

Options for INSTALL:
  --no-harm                only display what to do if given [off]
  --prefix=path            install path prefix []