David Alan Black wrote:

>> Arguably, yes.  You'll notice that Ruby doesn't use the Perl regexp code,
>> or the GNU regexp library.
>
> But it does use other libraries, like Gtk.  I'm not opposed to pure
> Ruby XML utilities, but I don't think it's an either-or choice.

Those other libraries aren't part of the "standard" Ruby distribution.  The
only foreign code that I'm aware of that is *used* by the standard Ruby
distribution is Tk, which is much more widely distributed than expat, and
isn't included with the standard Ruby distribution.

> I'm not too worried about the bundling issue, especially if something
> like RubyGems takes off.  (Ryan?)  This could lead to a more
> modularized view of a "standard" Ruby installation.

Except that this is what this whole discussion is about: a standard XML
parser to be distributed with Ruby.  :-)

--- SER