------art_27602_7275372.1186160626617

It seems like you are coming from Perl or PHP where such expressions are
converted for you. This is not the case in Ruby. The language may be
dynamicly typed, but it's strongly typed, so adding a FixNum to a String
doesn't make sense. Thus, you're best off doing the following:

favnum  avnum.to_i
plus1  lus1.to_i

and continue with actual FixNum objects. Also, make libral use of string
replacements:

puts "Try #{favnum + plus1} ..."

Such a thing calls #to_s on the result of whats in #{...}.

Welcome to Ruby!

Jason