On Aug 3, 9:01 am, Ruby Quiz <ja... / grayproductions.net> wrote:

> When working with hexadecimal numbers it is likely that you've noticed some hex
> numbers are also words. For example, 'bad' and 'face' are both English words and
> valid hex numbers (2989 and 64206, respectively, in decimal). I got to thinking
> that it would be interesting to find out how many and which hex numbers were
> also valid English words. Of course, almost immediately I started to think of
> generalizations. What about other bases? What about languages other than
> English?

I'm not sure why this quiz is being phrased as "numbers that are
words". Aren't you just asking for a program that finds words that use
only the first n letters of the alphabet? Or am I missing something
obvious (tends to happen :-) )?

Actually, one interesting variant that would tie it to numbers would
be if you could include digits that look like letters, i.e.:
0 -> O
1 -> I
2 -> Z
5 -> S
6 -> G
8 -> B

In this case, even numbers in base 10 could be words.