Let me try this in another way.  I have a file
(test.txt) where each line contains comma separated
values and I am using CSV to work though that stored
file.  The first line of the file is a header used by
the CSV program and as hash keys in the program that
creates the file.

What I am looking to do is update test.txt in two way.
 First I add a line at the end of the file with
today's values for each entry in the first line
(header).  Like 1, 20, 300, etc.  Which I can do with

file = File.open("test.tet")
file.puts(x) #x being string with the comma separated
values.

Second I will sometimes find a need to add another
header/hash key to the end of the first line.  That is
replace the first line (header) with a new one.

The only way that I can think of is to create a new
file, enter a new first line and then move line 2
thought the last line from file 1 into file 2 and then
rename file 2 to file 1.

I was hoping there was a way to replace the first line
in a text file.

Thanks Jeff