Will there be a compatability flag to allow 1.9 to act like 1.8 for cases in
which backwards compatability was broken?  That way you could take advantage
of new features w/o having to rewrite an existing codebase all at once.

Ron

>From: Ari Brown <ari / aribrown.com>
>To: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org (ruby-talk ML)
>Subject: Re: #send in 1.9
>Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 06:01:25 +0900
>

>On Aug 2, 2007, at 12:30 PM, Tim Pease wrote:
>
>>Matz has been stating over the past year that 1.9 will break backwards
>>compatibility with 1.8, and #send is just one of the changes.
>>String#[] has changed such that requesting a single character returns
>>a new String (it returns a Fixnum in 1.8). And there are others.
>>
>>The only way to make sure your code is going to work in 1.9 is to
>>test, test, test. And when you're done testing, then do some more
>>testing.
>
>crapzor! So there's no guide (yet) for making 1.9 suitable code?
>

>And does anyone know of a release for 2.0? I'm getting pretty psyched  to
>countdown the days until.
>
>Thanks,
>~ Ari
>crap my sig won't fit

Messenger Cafopen for fun 24/7. Hot games, cool activities served daily.
Visit now. http://cafemessenger.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_AugHMtagline