dblack / rubypal.com wrote:
> I love not confusing newcomers, but at the same time I don't think
> that something orthogonal and purposeful should be removed from the
> language just for that reason.  In the end, the main target audience
> for Ruby is non-newcomers.
>
> Think of it as a rite of passage :-)  Sort of like realizing that:
>
>   array.each {|a| puts a }
>
> can be written as:
>
>   puts array
>
> or that ^ and $ operate per line rather than per string in regular
> expressions.
>

> David

I do like more than one way to do things, but the confusion created by
this particular piece of syntactic sugar trumps TIMTOWTDI, in my book.
However, I'm gonna drop this (and not make an RCR), because I realized
that the performance hit due to running a block is significant--one of
the following eats up my CPU and memory, the other doesn't:

$ time ruby -e 'Array.new(9999999) {0}'
$ time ruby -e 'Array.new(9999999, 0)'

We all know that the point of Ruby is to save programmer time, as
opposed to processor time, but I care a lot about performance (I've
written a couple really heavy programs), so I withdraw my suggestion.

Dan