On Jul 18, 10:44 pm, "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <zn... / cesmail.net>
wrote:
> Well ... they *are* talking seriously about dumping Call/CC. How many
> Ruby programmers, or, for that matter, C programmers, actually use
> recursion, even tail recursion? Recursion has been mainstream in
> programming languages since Algol 60, but how many people actually use
> it outside of Lisp/Scheme and other functional languages?

I haven't had /that many/ opportunities to use recursion, but I tend
to use it wherever it is both applicable and not prohibitively
resource intensive. The latter is a valid concern when choosing how to
solve a given problem, but for cases in which recursion won't blow the
stack or drastically affect performance, I like to use it. Not because
it's /better/, per se...just because it's more fun and often a bit
more challenging.

Granted, I'm still a student in the early part of my education, so I
don't know how viable recursion will be for me in "the real world", in
consumer apps and the like, but I'll still use it when I see an
opportunity.