Gregory Brown wrote:
> On 7/30/07, Alex Young <alex / blackkettle.org> wrote:
>> Gregory Brown wrote:

>>> Oh, he can't use the implementations because I think the license is
>>> incompatible :-/
>>>
>> That's why I mentioned rubinius - it's BSD-licensed, isn't it?
>
> What I'm saying is that my guess is that Rubinius would use the MRI
> implementations rather than wasting time building them from scratch.
> MIT License is compatible with the License of Ruby + GPL, i think
> IronRuby's license isn't.
Taking another look at the Rubinius project page, it seems that they
have, indeed, imported the 1.8 MRI stdlib.  I need more coffee.

> When you use parts of a project that are under a different license,
> you usually can't change the license terms without permission.  Which
> means the Rubinius standard library would be under License of Ruby,
> not MIT, if they use the MRI implementations.
Yup, agreed - this tangent was entirely inspired by the false assumption
(on my part) that for some reason there was a large part of stdlib being
recoded as part of the rubinius project.

--
Alex