Detlef Reichl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing on a video procession system. In this i have a C extension,
> which creates ruby objects that encapsulate images. This objects are
> passed with some ruby code to an other C extension which shall store
> them for later output.
>
> My problem is, that the GC destroys the objects while they are needed in
> the future. I've tried to prevent this by calling
>
>   rb_gc_register_address (&myobject);
>
> on the object and after i'm done with the object
>
>   rb_gc_unregister_address (&myobject);
>
> But that seems to be ignorred.

Are you creating the objects using the Data_Make/Wrap/Get_Struct macros?
If so, establish a mark routine that GC can call so you can mark your
objects as being still in use by calling the rb_gc_mark function. See
Chapter 21 in the Pickaxe.

--
RMagick OS X Installer [http://rubyforge.org/projects/rmagick/]
RMagick Hints & Tips [http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=1618]