Hi,

In message "[ruby-talk:26091] List of methods that can implicitly act on $_ ?"
    on 01/11/22, Jos Backus <josb / cncdsl.com> writes:

|Some methods can implicitly act on $_, such as chomp and split; others, such
|as upcase, can't.
|
|Having a list of these methods that ship with Ruby strikes me as useful when
|converting from Perl to Ruby, because this is a frequently used idiom in Perl.
|Or maybe mark them in the documentation as such?
|
|Otoh, I can see reasons why one would want to discourage this idiom in Ruby.

OK, You know I discourage this idiom.  Don't use them.
If you don't use them, you don't need the list.

But here is the list, for your information:

 sub, gsub, chop, chomp

and their correspongind bang methods, and

 split, scan

							matz.