>     [POS1, [POS2a, POS2b], POS3, POS4]
>     [nil, [POS2c, POS2d, POS2e], nil, nil]

Sorry about the syntax.  I was just trying to show the array, it was not
intended to be ruby code.  What Im trying to do is read a text file and
then make sense of the data in that text file and store that info in a
database.  I have managed to sort out into the arrays but need to get
the POS2c etc elements into the same array (im guessing thats the best
way to do it).

For example here is code that im shuffling:

49  7  RP13,RP15,RP17,RP19,RP24,  12X2  33XD  Wireless, Independent, 5%
235003410229  Toshiba  7024022000
    RP32,RP33
50  4  RP27,RP28,RP30,RP31  10XC4  3X567  Network, Isolated, 5%
2353454310103  Philips  7024010300
51  31  R1,R2,R8,R30,R32,R33,R35,  0603,R10K,1%  0603  3%,1/12W
S1345310KFJ2  Bonshui  7563010300
    R37,R39,R41,R42,R43,R49,
    R50,R51,R52,R58,R68,R69,
    R71,R72,R74,R85,R95,R117,
    R129,R130,R155,R156,R158,
    R160

What I've done is split the text up into lines stored all the lines in
an array with text.strip.split("\n")  But as you can see the R71, R129,
the elements in the third column continue on the next line.  I need a
way to get them into one place.  Because those elements that are on the
next line are a continuation of the third column element.