On Jul 25, 4:15 pm, "Todd Benson" <caduce... / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/25/07, jmilun... / hotmail.com <jmilun... / hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 25, 1:26 pm, "Todd Benson" <caduce... / gmail.com> wrote:
> > > On 7/25/07, jmilun... / hotmail.com <jmilun... / hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for the quick response
>
> > I landed up running gem install activerecord --include dependencies
> > and I got it to work but there was an error at the end
>
> > Gem not found exception could not find dependencies. Do you know what
> > this would mean?
>
> > Also When i installed the Gem package - shouldn't it automatically
> > install active record?
>
> I am not sure about your set up.  Are you saying the command "gem
> install activerecord" worked fine, but you are having trouble
> requiring the gem in your code?  Or are you saying that you can load
> the gem, but get an error when you try to use it.  What is your OS?
> Are you requiring 'rubygems' first?
>
> Here's what I did...
>
> gem install activerecord
>
> Then, in irb...
> irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
> => true
> irb(main):002:0> require 'postgres'  #I require this because I'm using
> postgresql
> => true
> irb(main):003:0> require 'active_record'
> => true
>
> And then, smooth sailing from there on.  Where in this process are you
> getting an error?

Things seem to have gotten worse for me. I had it working at one point
now i have installed everything from scratch again nad I get the
following error - i am running windows

C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/active_record/
vendor/mysql.rb:111:in `initialize': Bad file descriptor - connect(2)
(Errno::EBADF)
	from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/
active_record/vendor/mysql.rb:111:in `real_connect'
	from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/
active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:389:in `connect'
	from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/
active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:152:in `initialize'
	from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/
active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:82:in
`mysql_connection'
	from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/
active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:
262:in `connection_without_query_cache='
	from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/
active_record/query_cache.rb:54:in `connection='
	from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/
active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:
230:in `retrieve_connection'
	from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/
active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:
78:in `connection'
	from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/
active_record/base.rb:763:in `columns'
	from C:/RadRails/workspace/album/my_ruby_code.rb:9


I installed ruby 1.8.4-20 into c:\ruby
I then installed rails using gem insall rails -r -y
I have the preference in RadRails set correctly to point to these
directories but it seems as though it's looking for active record in a
different directory or something

Boy this sure is frustrating

thanks
jack