On Jul 25, 7:05 pm, Phrogz <phr... / mac.com> wrote:
> On Jul 25, 4:59 pm, scomb... / gmail.com wrote:
>
> > For example if I have a file called filename.txt and I want to search
> > for this --->   "Compression                     : JPEG (old-style)"
> > but only return everything to the right of the delimitator?
>
> C:\>irb
> irb(main):001:0> s = "Foo   :  Bar"
> => "Foo   :  Bar"
> irb(main):002:0> s.split ":"
> => ["Foo   ", "  Bar"]
> irb(main):003:0> s.split(":").last
> => "  Bar"
>
> ...or did you want the leading whitespace chomped?
>
> irb(main):004:0> s.split( /\s*:\s*/ )
> => ["Foo", "Bar"]
> irb(main):005:0> s.split( /\s*:\s*/ ).last
> => "Bar"

I was looking at this method as well. I was having trouble though as I
know the left hand side column so for this example the Compression
portion then the colon : the remainder could be anything for instance
a description with lots of text and could also contain a additional
colon.  At the shell prompt I could grep "Compression" | cut -d: -f2-
and that would grab everything...
So it sounds like I'm looking in the correct area but Im just not
pulling it all together. I will keep at it if you have additional info
to point to that would be great..and appreciated.
 Thanks again.

Sc-