Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 07:15:04PM +0900, Brad Phelan wrote:
>>>  In fact, copyright and physical property
>>>  rights are specifically in legally enforceable conflict with one
>>>  another.
>> :)
>>
>> Try posting torrents of the latest Hollywood schmalz on your server.
>> When hauled into court try arguing that *But your honor copyright and
>> physical property rights are specifically in legally enforceable
>> conflict with one another* and see how far you get.
>
> Exactly my point -- your physical property rights are contradicted by
> copyright law.

I will agree with you with a small change.

*your physical property rights are _overidden_ by copyright law*

But this is not unique to copyright law.  Physical property rights are
commonly overridden by law's associated with fraud, murder,  drug
dealing, civil infractions, family breakups, national interest, traffic
violations and more. Observing these points shows the law rarely
considers any particular 'right' inviolate. I would tentatively suggest
that even the word 'rights' is a loaded term that should be generally
avoided as it suggests absolutism whereas reality is more complex.

Respectfully