I have some questions about sockets, IO.getc(), and IO.ready?().

So my telnet server accepts
connections.                                             That works.
It displays the
prompt.
               That works.
It accepts the single characters (IO.getc) without pressing return.
That works.
But wait! Whenever I connect to the server (telnet localhost), there
is always this string of characters that are:

??%??&??&??^C?????? ??!??"??'????

Where are those characters coming from, and is there a suitable
workaround? I tried instituting a sleep 1 to allow the characters to
pass (assuming it was a short stream), but they still came. I also
noticed that this only happens when I press enter (which for me shows
up a ^M. bwah?).

CODE:
       loop do
         character = sock.getc
         if sock.ready?
#          puts sock.ready?
#          puts sock
           case character
           when ?\C-c
             print "^C"
#            break
           when ?\r, ?\n, ?\C-M
             $writer[$output_buffer]
             show_prompt
           else
             $output_buffer << character
             print character.chr

I had to comment out 'break' so that I wouldn't get disconnected
during the initial character stream.

What's going on?

Thanks,
~ Ari