Jim Menard <jimm / io.com> writes:

> Multi-byte characters are another problem. How should I handle character
> references like "&D7A3;" when Ruby can't handle that character? Is there
> any way that NQXML can reach 100.0% conformance?

I would suggest to follow the same strategy that Expat uses: Export
all data as UTF-8 to the application. This will allow for arbitrary
input encodings, as well as for arbitrary character entities.

Alternatively, offer the application to
a) receive the data in an encoding of their choice, or
b) offer the application to receive all data in the input encoding,
   reporting an error when you get data that cannot be represented
   in the input encoding (such as character entities).

HTH,
Martin