Chris Lowis wrote:
>> I would have expected irb to offer some readline and thus command
>> history support (I am a lousy typer)?
>
> You can get command history by installing the wirble gem
>
>   sudo gem install wirble
>
> and adding the following to your ~/.irbrc file
>
>   # load libraries
>   require 'rubygems'
>   require 'wirble'
>
>   # start wirble (with color)
>   Wirble.init
>   Wirble.colorize
>
> More information on wirble here :
>   http://pablotron.org/software/wirble/
>
>> Is this really all that easy?
>
> My understanding is that it is this easy !
>
> You might also find the following interesting :
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/ruby-from-other-languages/to-ruby-from-perl/
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris

Hi Chris,

many thanks for the quick response and the valuable hint for the wirble
gem.
As I have to leave now, it will be the first thing that I try tomorrow
and give feedback.

As for Gems configuration.
Do you have any idea where and how I would have to put our proxy
informations (url, port, credentials) so that I could query Internet
Gems repositories?
I tried the -p http://proxy_user:proxy_passwd / our.proxy.url:proxy_port
switch with the gem list command but it didn't work.
So I sought for a config file like I am used to with the Perl
CPAN/Config.pm
but couldn't find something comparable beneath the gems tree.

I start to like Ruby.
I only need to get used to Ruby idioms and doing things the Ruby way
instead of taking over habits from Perl.
But since I so far lack knowledge of all the methods
(although some_object.methods.sort in irb is a tremendous help) it takes
some
time to discover.