On Jul 24, 2007, at 5:04 AM, Brad Phelan wrote:

> Chad Perrin wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 06:49:59PM +0900, Brad Phelan wrote:
>>> However it always stuns me when software geeks come with
>>> arguments as previously posted because we are meant to be
>>> abstract thinkers. However I keep hearing the same old argument
>>> along the lines of `if I can't kick it, it has no value and
>>> should be free.`
>> I don't recall anyone saying anything of the sort.  Maybe I'm just
>> not
>> thinking abstractly enough to know where you got that.
>
> 'governmentally enforced artificial scarcity model where software
> is treated as physical product units.'
>

> What does this mean other than that software has no inherent
> monetary sale value other than that artificially imposed
> by government control?

Which is exactly the kind of half logic that would debunk all
'governmentally enforced' rights, property or otherwise.
They're all artifices imposed by social constructs. Some of them work
and some don't. If they don't work, they're ideally changed/fixed.
But the ideal Star Trek world of no money and free and equal access
to everything is not going to happen any time soon.