On Jul 23, 4:22 am, Alex Young <a... / blackkettle.org> wrote:
> bgul... / gmail.com wrote:
> > On Jul 23, 12:20 am, Chad Perrin <per... / apotheon.com> wrote:
> >> On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 11:05:09AM +0900, John Joyce wrote:

Thanks for the examples.  Could I ask some questions or comment about
about each one?

>For example, free the software,
> charge for service.  It seems to work for (at least) Red Hat and MySQL.

How long did it take these two companies to get off some sort of
patronage and start making money?

> Then there are companies like Neuros
> (http://www.neurosaudio.com/) who use open software to sell hardware.

Yes, this is a traditional model for hardware companies, even before
the advent of OSS. It may make companies like Digidesign rethink their
model.

>   Then you've got bigger companies (like IBM) who see the benefit of
> expanding the market or promoting an open standard on top of which they
> then sell a closed-source product.
> You could argue that Apple have partially done this with OS X and the
> tools that are distributed with it, but that relationship is more
> tenuous.

You could even argue that Microsoft with it's open source Ajax
Foundation Library is using this model.  I'd be hard pressed to call
these three companies open source.

Still, let's say I've got this great little editor called TextBuddy I
want to get off the ground.  How do any of these models, including the
kickbacks from Google mentioned later in this thread apply to me?

Bob