John Joyce wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2007, at 4:27 AM, Alex Young wrote:
>
>> Michael Hollins wrote:
>>> I don't know about Apache, but I think you'll find that most of
>>> Mozilla's income comes from referral fees from Google. Apparently
>>> it's on the order of many tens of millions each year.
>> Well, there's another business model, then :-)
>>
>> --Alex
>>
> MySQL does also sell commercial licenses required under certain
> circumstances.
That would be the point, yes.  Open source software that's funded and
supported by purchases of commercial support contracts.

> But you still failed to answer for the source of income of the
> independent developer.
> Model breaks.
No it doesn't.  I wasn't talking about independent developers
specifically, but what reason is there that MySQL's business model
couldn't scale down?

Besides, it doesn't really matter if you don't like this particular open
source business model.  There are plenty of others.

--
Alex