> Firefox, alas, is the best of a tremendously bad breed.  I wish
> there was
> something better out there, and I've toyed with the idea of creating a
> GUI web browser of my own just so I won't have to suffer with what's
> currently available, but it's going to have to wait on me having more
> free time.  Lots more.

WebKit is wide open source, and it is what is used by Safari and
Konqueror/KHTML...

As for the OSS issue, I'm in no way against it. I totally support it.
But I also understand the indie devs' need to make a living without
suffering a corporation's suckiness. I just use what works best for me.

TextMate by the way, has a VERY kind license, a very dedicated
developer who also responds to individual users directly. I defend
their choice not to open their source yet because their revenue has
kept them providing quality stuff. In their case, with such a widely
popular app that is already being aped everywhere, if they had opened
the source, they'd be out of business. So how would they make a living?

Not everything needs to be OSS. It does have merits and makes sense
in many regards, but the question often remains of how do you make a
living if everything is open source without others blindly taking
what you made?

Rails is open source, but BaseCamp (which is pretty impressive but
pretty expensive) is not.