On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 01:05:16PM +0900, John Joyce wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2007, at 7:29 PM, Robert Dober wrote:
>
> >It is the only means to assure persistence, if X who has the copyright
> >of TextMate decides that there will be no more TextMate, than there
> >will be no more TextMate.
> >Hopefully that will never happen but it is a legal fact.
> >That is the only point I wanted to make.
> >
> Big Deal!
> If X who has ownership of the software decides to axe it, then X axes
> it!
> That's life. Not a problem. Use what you like and can use. If it
> becomes unavailable or outdated, then so be it.
> What software doesn't eventually either get updated or outdated?
> Neither is a reason not to use something.

Nobody was talking about what X is or is not allowed to do -- only the
fact that it's really annoying to have a useful piece of software vanish
while one still wants to use it.

The point isn't that TextMate might get updated or outdated, but that it
might become unavailable while still up-to-date, or may become outdated
specifically because the copyright holder decides we don't get updates
any longer.

Paul Graham: "Real ugliness is not harsh-looking syntax, but having to
build programs out of the wrong concepts."