On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 06:01:39AM +0900, John Joyce wrote:

> Open source is nice sometimes, but it isn't the most important thing
> to everyone.
> There's no need to ignore software because it's closed source.

It appeared pretty clear to me that Robert's point was that, like all
proprietary, closed source software, TextMate may one day disappear from
the market simply on the whim of the copyright holder (or because the
copyright holder "goes out of business", gets hit by a bus, whatever).
As such, putting all your eggs in the TextMate basket may be kind of a
losing proposition.

There are other reasons to prefer open source over closed source, as
well.  All in all, I don't think TextMate is good enough that it
overcomes the negatives of being a closed source, proprietary
application.  There are cases where, in a strictly technical sense, the
benefits of a given piece of software *do* overcome the detriments, but
for my money this is not one of them.  This in no way means that whether
or not something is open source is the only, or even biggest, concern,
but rather that whether it's open source is simply an *important*
concern.

Your mileage may vary.

John W. Russell: "People point. Sometimes that's just easier. They also use
words. Sometimes that's just easier. For the same reasons that pointing has
not made words obsolete, there will always be command lines."