On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 03:54:27PM +0900, Peter Seebach wrote:
> In message <20070721055437.GB61361 / demeter.hydra>, Chad Perrin writes:
> >It's a big enough weakness that I won't use it for that very reason.  The
> >way I see it, any requirement to use an OS that I don't much like is a
> >weakness of the application in question.
>
> I generally agree.  In some cases, though, I can see the reasons for making
> those tradeoffs.  If my choices are to write something elegant, reliable,
> and clean in Ruby, taking a week to do it, or to spend a month mostly getting
> it running in C, I might be better off with Ruby, even though it may restrict
> my choice of targets some.

I can understand the developer's desire to develop for the platform he
uses.  From his perspective, I'm sure that's not a weakness of the
software at all.  From the perspective of someone else who uses Macs
every time, all the time, I'm sure it doesn't look like a weakness.

On the other hand, from the perspective of someone who never uses Macs,
rarely uses Macs, or even uses Macs a lot (but not always), it starts
looking like a weakness.

So it goes. . . .

awj @reddit: "The terms never and always are never always true."