On Jul 20, 2007, at 6:46 PM, Logan Capaldo wrote:

> On 7/20/07, alex_land <doug.ybarbo / gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings:
>>

>> I am new to Ruby (from C++) so these are quite basic questions i'm
>> afraid.
>>
>> My questions are also more about Editor mechanics rather than Ruby
>> per
>> se-if anyone can suggest a better forum, my apologies, just let me
>> know and i'll re-post.
>>
>> I have spent the few weeks with Ruby using irb from the Terminal and
>> Text Edit, while i got a better sense from the Ruby Community
>> regarding the editors of choice. So yesterday i bought a license to
>> TextMate, which by the way, might just be the most beautiful (and t/4
>> useful) App i have ever seen, let alone owned and used.
>>
>> My question relates to "commands" (i believe this term has two
>> meanings in TM-i'm using it to refer to one of the three automation
>> means).  "Scope"?
>>
>> 1.  Can I specify different lexical scopes for different
>> "languages" (that might not be the TM lingo-i mean "Ruby," "HTML,"
>> "Text," etc.)?
>>
>> 2.  If i leave this field empty, is my default, "unlimited scope?"
>>
>> 3. When i go to the Bundle Editor, i get a drop down of like 20 or so
>> languages-3-5 of these i'll use regularly, another 3-4 ocasionally,
>> and the rest, unlikely. I see i can "filter" which i've done
>> before in
>> other editors, so i know from painful experience that when i've
>> had to
>> re-add one or more of these, and i do an update, all default bundle
>> items write over my customizations.  T/4, i would like to put my 3-5
>> "everyday set" in a different folder to prevent this.  Is there a
>> better solution w/ TM?
>

> I don't use TextMate myself, however James Edward Gray II who is a
> prolific
> and helpful contributor to this list has written a book (which I
> haven't
> read) all about TextMate. It might be worth checking out.
>
> http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/textmate/index.html
>
> Thanks,
>>
>> -alex

Mr. Gray not only wrote "the" book on TextMate (available also as a
pdf ebook at the Pragmatic Programmers' site at a discount versus the
print book) but he also wrote a lot of bundles for TextMate, I believe.
Get the book. Read a little bit of it at a time. Just learn something
new every day or two or ten. As you learn your way around TextMate
you will find your productivity increasing rapidly, particularly with
Ruby, Rails and HTML.
For some languages there may be better solutions available.
PHP, especially big projects, for example is probably best done with
Zend's IDE.
TextMate also works well with Transmit, Panic software's nice FTP app.
TextMate's big weakness is with non-western languages. Japanese for
example. It can display the characters (if they're in the font you
are using) but things go crazy when you use the Kotoeri input system.
This is why in Japan many Rubyists are using Jedit or something.

John Joyce