On 7/20/07, Morton Goldberg <m_goldberg / ameritech.net> wrote:
> On Jul 20, 2007, at 12:32 PM, Ari Brown wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> > I adore Ruby. I love everything about it. The debugging, the
> > community, the syntax....
> >
> > But my code sorta looks like VBScript - simple and generic. I have
> > seen some really great Ruby code - some I can understand, others I
> > just can't wrap my mind around. But how do you learn to think like
> > that?
>
> By reading and writing lots of Ruby code.
>
> > Can anyone recommend a book or site that teaches you to write Ruby
> > succinctly and rubily?
>
> I know you have participated in Ruby Quiz, but have you really
> explored James' Ruby Quiz web site which makes a huge amount of
> interesting code available for you to read? It may be just what
> you're looking for.
>
> Regards, Morton

Read the PickAxe book, read it for 15 to 30 minutes per day.
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ruby/index.html

Force yourself to live on the command line with the 'irb' and 'ri'
tools (PickAxe talks about this).  Avoid a GUI for coding and use vi
or emacs (during this period a GUI will make you dumb).

And if you are into Rails about two or three months later read the
Ruby appendix in the Agile book.

Then read the PickAxe book again about 12 months later.

Participate in your local Ruby group, find yours here:
http://rubyholic.com/
Start a group if one is not in your proximity.

Write your first gem, use hoe because it will make it really easy for
you to publish it.
http://seattlerb.rubyforge.org/hoe/