On 7/20/07, Peter Hickman <peter / semantico.com> wrote:
> One issue that Ubuntu has that some other systems might not have is that
> the header files and compilers are not installed by default as the user
> will be installing pre-compiled applications with the package manager.
> To get this to work for me I have had to use package manager to install
> the libc (libstdc???) headers package and make and all the other tools
> to get things to work. You can actually install the C compiler but this
> does not automatically include the various header files. For that you
> need to download the appropriate package.
>
> I'm away from my Ubuntu box at the moment so I can't give you the
> details but this could be something to check.

I've done lots of source installs on this box so the normal headers
are there.  These seem to be linux related headers rather than libc
stuff.

I don't use debian/ubuntu packaged ruby stuff in general since they
generally don't get ruby packaging.

Normally when something like this happens, I try to find an ubuntu
package for the thing I'm trying to build and do an apt-get build-dep
which gets the source packages it depends on, this usually gets things
fixed.  However in this case there's no such package.

The fallback, which I've pursued with this, is to use apt-file to
search for the package(s) which has the file(s) which is what I did
here, but it doesn't work in this case.
--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby