Some methods can implicitly act on $_, such as chomp and split; others, such
as upcase, can't.

Having a list of these methods that ship with Ruby strikes me as useful when
converting from Perl to Ruby, because this is a frequently used idiom in Perl.
Or maybe mark them in the documentation as such?

Otoh, I can see reasons why one would want to discourage this idiom in Ruby.

--
Jos Backus                 _/  _/_/_/        Santa Clara, CA