On 7/19/07, Hal Fulton <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com> wrote:

> To use "daemon" and "demon" to mean different things may be common
> usage, but I consider it an outgrowth of ignorance.(I'm not calling
> you ignorant, Chad, I'm just saying I think ignorance is the origin of
> this false distinction.)

Well, if you subscribe to the meme concept, I would posit that
ignorance has nothing to do with it.  You can drill the 'correct'
meanings of words into everyone, but the most popular use of a word
will determine its future.  Hey, it's fab, man!

I've only followed part of this very interesting conversation, so as a
preemptive strike, I apologize if I'm missing the core concept here.
But really, IMHO, descriptivism is where it's at with understanding
and using living languages (or even dead ones too?).  Words and the
grammar that puts them in a discernible order will continue to avoid a
definitive rule set as best they can.

I imagine that you and Chad are irritated by such words as
"irregardless", irregardless of which ism you ascribe to :)

Todd