Morton Goldberg wrote:
> On Jul 18, 2007, at 9:50 PM, John W. Kennedy wrote:
>
>> Morton Goldberg wrote:
>>> SOAP = Semi-Optimizing Assembly Program (IIRC)
>>
>> Symbolic Optimizing", I rather think.
>
> I was depending on a nearly fifty-year old memory, but Google (whose
> memory is better than mine :) tells me it's actually "Symbolic Optimal
> Assembly Program".
>
> Did you actually ever code in it?

Never had a 650 to work on, but read the manual once, a long, long, long
time ago. My first programs were written for the 7070, which was the
follow-on to the 650, but, since it used core, had a conventional
instruction counter instead of a next-instruction-address field.

Back in those days, the entire programmer's reference library for any
given line of IBM's mainframes could fit into a few 3-ring binders.
--
John W. Kennedy
"The pathetic hope that the White House will turn a Caligula into a