Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:58:57 +0900,
> Ralph Grothe wrote in [ruby-talk:260415]:
>> > It is just ignored by configure itself, but passed to
>> > ext/zlib/extconf.rb via dir_config("zlib") call.
>> > Or, you can pass it as CONFIGURE_ARGS environment variable.
>>
>> So it instead didn't ignore these args despite your assumption.
>>
>> I just would like to complain why they simply don't mention these
>> configure flags in the --help dump?
>
> Because configure doesn't take care of such unknown flags, but
> simply stores them in config.status file, as is.  It doesn't
> mention flags about which it knows nothing, of course.

Hi  Nobuyoshi,

Ok, I don't bother about configure oddities anymore
because my new compile run of ruby and the subsequent execution
of the Gem's setup.rb script seems to have worked.

Although I started gem_server and connected my browser to port 8808
I couldn't find any useful information where this repository stores its
configuration.

As already mentioned my -p proxy specifications with any gem command
that goes for a remote repository by -r also failed.
Note, I need to authenticate with our proxy, and it obviously rejects
anything in the common URL format like
http://proxy_user:proxy_pass@proxy_url:proxy_port.
With Perl I have a highly tunable LWP class where probably are dozens of
ways to pass authentication credentials, even if it required overriding
some method.
With such a hyped and acclaimed web development language as Ruby I
cannot beleive that there isn't something similar available.
But usually the books only mention the standard cases.

Besided, are there other recommendable, and more frequented Ruby forums
where dummies like me can ask (Ruby) beginners' questions?